Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:California may have to pay $300M for COVID-19 homeless hotel program after FEMA caps reimbursement -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:California may have to pay $300M for COVID-19 homeless hotel program after FEMA caps reimbursement
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 20:12:53
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California cities and Rekubit Exchangecounties still don’t know how much they’ll have to pay for Gov. Gavin Newsom’s pandemic program to house homeless people in hotel rooms after the Federal Emergency Management Agency said in October that it was limiting the number of days eligible for reimbursement.
State and local officials say they were stunned to learn via an October letter that FEMA would only pay to house homeless people at risk of catching COVID-19 for at most 20 days — as opposed to unlimited — starting June 11, 2021, which is when Gov. Gavin Newsom rescinded the sweeping stay-at-home order he issued in March 2020.
In response, the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services requested that FEMA reconsider the policy change, saying that it would cost cities and counties at least $300 million at a time when budgets are tight and that local governments had relied on assurances that the federal government would pick up the cost.
Late Tuesday, FEMA said in a statement that it will review California’s Jan. 31 letter, but that all states had been provided “the same guidance and policy updates throughout the pandemic.”
Newsom announced the hotel housing program — called Project Roomkey — in March 2020 as part of the state’s response to the pandemic. Homeless advocates heralded it as a novel way to safeguard residents who could not stay at home to reduce virus transmission. FEMA agreed to pay 75% of the cost, later increasing that to full reimbursement.
California officials argued to the federal agency that no notice was provided on the policy change.
Robert J. Fenton, the regional administrator for California who wrote the October letter, told CalMatters, which was first to report on the discrepancy last week, that the policy was not new.
“What I’m doing is clarifying the original guidance of the original policy and providing that back to them,” he told the nonprofit news organization.
FEMA declined Tuesday to make Fenton available to The Associated Press for an interview.
Brian Ferguson, a spokesperson for Cal OES, said earlier Tuesday that inaction by FEMA “would have a chilling effect on the future trust of local governments and the federal government” in times of crisis.
veryGood! (87739)
Related
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Solo climber found dead after fall from Denali, highest mountain peak in North America
- Clark signs multiyear deal with Wilson Sporting Goods for signature basketball line
- 'Abbott Elementary' is ready for summer break: How to watch the season 3 finale
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Connecticut’s top public defender could be fired as panel mulls punishment for alleged misconduct
- Congo's army says 3 Americans among those behind coup attempt that was nipped in the bud
- Former Arizona GOP chair Kelli Ward and others set to be arraigned in fake elector case
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- Vanderpump Rules Star Lala Kent Shares Fashion Finds Starting at $7.98
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Bad weather hampers search for 2 who went over waterfall in Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area
- What Each Zodiac Sign Needs for Gemini Season, According to Your Horoscope
- Rare $400 Rubyglow pineapple was introduced to the US this month. It already sold out.
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Defense witness who angered judge in Trump’s hush money trial will return to the stand
- Detroit officer placed on administrative duties after telling protester to ‘go back to Mexico’
- Trump says he is open to restrictions on contraception. His campaign says he misspoke
Recommendation
Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
Jason Momoa seemingly debuts relationship with 'Hit Man' star Adria Arjona: 'Mi amor'
Princess Kate makes royal return with first project of 2024 amid cancer diagnosis
Sean 'Diddy' Combs owned up to violent assault of Cassie caught on video. Should he have?
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
15 Hidden Home Finds That Prove Walmart Is the Best Place for Affordable Furniture
Can candy, syrup and feelings make the Grandma McFlurry at McDonald's a summer standout?
Trump-backed legislator, county sheriff face off for McCarthy’s vacant US House seat in California